What was initially reported as an active shooter drill turned out to be a “real life” situation at Joint Base Andrews. The drama started to unfold at 9:50am Eastern, when the base sent out a tweet reporting the base was on lockdown due to a reported active shooter.
By 10:00 am Eastern the base reported via tweet that first responders were securing the scene. Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said the situation was “unfolding” at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland but withheld any further details.
An employee at a medical facility at Joint Base Andrews says an active-shooter drill had been planned, but officials later told workers it was a “real-world” situation. This was confirmed in a tweet issued by the base.
Rodney Smith, a patient advocate at the military post’s medical facility said Thursday, that he was on lockdown and didn’t have any more information.
In a phone interview with AP reporters, Smith said: “First it was an active-shooter exercise. Then it came back ‘real world.'”
Smith said the situation was unfolding at the newer of two buildings at the Malcolm Grow Medical Facility on the base. He was in the older of the two buildings.
Lockdown was lifted less than an hour later.